Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Selling my second-hand paperbacks and Evernote

Book photos in Evernote


I have more than 300 of my books up for sale. The vast majority are paperbacks with hardly any value and I list these on GreenMetropolis (if it sells you get £3 per book but have to take the postage out of that). A handful have some second-hand value and I sell the ones worth more than £5 on Amazon (anything less than that and it's not worth the fees to Amazon).

My average is to sell 4 books/month, so I have a fair stock of books to keep tabs on. At the moment there are three places around the house where they are stashed and it was getting quite irritating when one had sold and I was having trouble locating the book (they only grouping I have was splitting fiction from everything else).

Searching for "Kraken"



I stumbled across a fairly easy way of getting around this problem using Evernote. By taking snapping some digital photographs of the stacks of books with the spines showing and then pasting these to Evernote, the online application craftily does its text recognition thing and gives you a fairly good chance of finding the photograph of the book (and hence location) by typing in part of the title. Blam, instant book database.

It's actually an incredibly handy time-saver for double checking where the book is, before going around the house reading every book spine.

No comments: