Monday, December 1, 2008

Moving my mobile number from Virgin to the evil ASDA / Wal*mart empire

Sadly Virgin aren't doing all that much to compete with the johnny-cum-lately ASDA. ASDA are currently charging a flat rate for PAYG of 8p/min for all UK landline and all mobile calls with 4p per text message. Virgin claimed to charge 15p/min and 3p for texts on PAYG but in practice (as I don't know anyone using Virgin and my usage is so low it was never worth buying a "bundle") their charges were actually a whopping 40p/min and 12p/text.

It's a great pity but as my average bill even at these rates is always less than £5/month I can't afford to ignore the ASDA deal.

Transfer happened this weekend. I emailed Virgin via their website on Thursday, phoned ASDA with the transfer code on Friday and my mobile number was tranferred today. Surprisingly painless compared to the last time I had to do this (it took 3 weeks).

No comments: