Thursday, April 22, 2010

Sony HX5V camera

I have been trying to buy a HX5V for the last 2 weeks. None of the main retailers have it in stock and at this rate I might just order one from Tesco (they have one of the cheapest UK prices at a bit under £300) and pick it up when it comes in stock again.

The reason I think this camera is worth it are the basic features of:
* GPS coordinates and compass direction added to photos (in the EXIF data)
* 10x optical zoom
* 200g and pocket-camera sized

It has an interesting variety of other features but GPS is a deal breaker and very few current cameras include it. When I think about our last trip to Southern Greece, it would be handy to have the photos automatically placed on a map as it is easy to forget the name of which village, ruin or beach each photo was taken at. On my T100 we have had some success at taking video so the ability to record in high resolution (AVCHD / 1080i) would be interesting to play around with.

A break with the philosophy of "product-lock-in" by Sony has been to allow the use of SD/SDHC memory cards as well as the Sony PRO-duo. I note there is no upper limit on card memory in the specification, though they do sell 32GB cards to go with the camera which is as large as I could imagine using in the next five years (the largest I own currently is an 8GB card).

No comments: